THE ROLE OF THE FAMILY IN DEVELOPING AND PERPETUATING HOMOPHOBIA, JAN BRIDGET
* Bring up to be heterosexual.
* Bring up to be homophobic.
* No support at time when most need it, i.e. adolescence, coming out.
* Rejection - thrown out of home, not talk about it, forced to leave home early.
* Refusal of love and support.
* No understanding - ignorant; not willing to acquire understanding or information or support e.g. from parents' groups.
* Insist on it being kept a secret.
* No help in combatting discrimination.
* Pressure to conform to heterosexuality (even when know child is homosexual!)
* Pressure to conform to sex role stereotypes.
* Distancing - no meaningful communication.
* No financial support, e.g. when heterosexual child marries.
* Expected to attend family gatherings on own - Christmas, weddings, funerals.
* When die often family come and throw partner out; take belongings.
© J. Bridget/Lesbian Information Service, 1996