THE ROLE OF EDUCATION IN DEVELOPING AND PERPETUATING HOMOPHOBIA, JAN BRIDGET
* More omission and invisibility than anything else and therefore negative stereotypes not challenged. Omitted from:
- sex education
- social sciences - psychology, sociology
- media studies
* Teachers not allowed to be out and be positive role models.
* Vulnerable time for Lesbian and Gay Youth when many coming out. No/little support from teachers, counsellors, anyone.
* Verbal, physical abuse, ostracism of Lesbian and Gay Youth from other pupils and from teachers.
* Pressure to conform to heterosexuality from other pupils.
* No books in school libraries.
* Universities: invisibility (or tokenistic inclusion) in curricula and thereby perpetuating beliefs in, e.g. Freud's theories, and other, negative stereotypes.
* Professional training: invisibility of issues; tokenistic inclusion; superficial level of understanding - ignoring important research from the U.S.A. and elsewhere.
© J. Bridget/Lesbian Information Service, 1996